Reading - Books & Essays
Aug 20, 2020
Here are the Books and Essays I am reading split year-wise. They are not recommendations but I have marked the ones I liked a lot in bold. The books are not sorted in any particular order. All books and essays are listed only after I finish reading.
Also, in almost all cases there will be an affiliate link attached to the books.
Since the last two years I have found myself leaning heavily into fiction. It strangely was a result of reading a non fiction book called the Art of the Novel by Milan Kundera. But I suspect the 2021 list might not have as much fiction.
A Newsletter for Readers
I run a weekly newsletter called Bombay Daak, where we talk about the tangents that reading opens up.
You can read more about it here.
Books & Essays
- Sleeping on the Wing - Kenneth Koch
- Atomic Habits - James Clear
- Moonraker - Ian Fleming
- Open City - Teju Cole
- Parker: The Hunter - Richard Stark & Darwyn Cooke
- Delhi Mostly Harmless - Elizabeth Chatterjee
- Low - Jeet Thayil
- Bihar is in the Eye of the Beholder - Vijay Nambisan
- Bread, Cement, Cactus - Annie Zaidi
- English - Poems by Jeet Thayil
- Everything Begins Elsewhere - Poems by Tishani Doshi
- The Name of the Rose - Umberto Eco
- The Portrait of an Artist as a Young Man - James Joyce - I keep thinking about it, months after reading it.
- The Invention of Morel - Adolfo Bioy Casares
- Writing Badly is Easy - Amitava Kumar
- Amsterdam - Ian McEwan
- Bird by Bird - Anne Lamott
- Everyday I for the Thief - Teju Cole - I surprise myself on how much I remember of this novella.
- The Black dwarves of Good Little Bay
- Fires - Raymond Carver - Buy it just for the poetry and it is still worth every penny
- The Blind Assassin - Margaret Atwood
- The Mystery of the Three Quarters - Sophie Hannah
- The Festival of Insignificance - Milan Kundera
- Ward no 6 and Other Stories - Anton Chekov
- The Books of the Earthsea - Ursula K. Le Guin - A balm, a magic, and that’s not just in the stories. I haven’t been transported to a world the way Le Guin did with Earthsea.
- These Were my Homes - Vijay Nambisan
- 60 Indian Poets - Edited by Jeet Thayil
- The Parameters of our Cage - C. Fuasto Cabrera and Alec Soth
- Children of Ruin - Adrian Tchaikovsky
- Zero to One - Peter Thiel
- Breath - by James Nestor
- On Bloom’s Two Sigma Problem
- Teach yourself Italian - Jhumpa Lahiri
- Ideas are getting hard to find
- How to Understand Things
- Optical Insights into Renaissance Arts
- Mr Mercedes - Stephen King
- Dreyer’s English - Benjamin Dreyer
- The Master and the Margarita - Mikhail Bulgakov - a Favourite
- Latitudes of Longing - Shubhangi Swaroop
- Tales from a Vending Machine - Anees Salim
- The Town that Laughed - Manu Bhattatiri
- Steppenwolf - Hermann Hesse
- Ram: The Scion of Ishvaku - Amish Tripathi
- The Zoya Factor - Anuja Chauhan
- Sea of Poppies - Amitav Ghosh
- The Lady and the Monk
- Some Notes on the Novella - Ian McEwan
- A New York Writer’s Take on How His City Has Changes - Pete Hamill
In 2018 I read more on the craft of writing than anything else. In the process I also bent towards European writing.